Determining unique visitors is not an exact science and everyone has their own formula for doing so. With that in mind, we use the following method:
- Cookie tracking: Our server adds a tracking cookie when a visitor clicks on your link. This cookie is timestamped so we can compare their last visit to their current visit. Visitors without a tracking cookie are counted as unique.
- Visit intervals: Once a tracking cookie is set, we won’t count repeat visits within a 30 minute window as unique. If a visitor clicks your link one hundred times in rapid succession, we’ll count the first click as unique and the other 99 as non-unique. If a visitor clicks your link once then returns and clicks it the next day, we will count that as two unique visits.
One of our users recently asked:
Can your site do banner referral links? How do you set up a tracking link with a banner?
We have a lot of users that use our site for banner tracking. Here are some steps and sample code to get started:
- Use our site to make a tracking link that points to your desired location (where the want the user to go)
- Copy your tracking link into the HTML code below.
- Replace the “img src” part with the URL of the banner image you want to use.
- Paste the HTML code onto your web page or email where needed.
<!--Start HTML code -->
<img src="http://yourdomain.com/your_image_here.jpg" />
<!--End HTML code -->
Should look something like this:
Emails from users like you are the best way to improve our service. Here’s one I got today:
I think I screwed up somewhat. A couple of weeks ago I set up 2 of your “quick links”. They are xxxxxx and xxxxxx
i didn’t realize that they have an expiry date. Today I actually set up an account under the user name xxxxxx. Should I set up new links or can I transfer the existing links somehow? Will there still be an expiry date? Do I need to go with premium account? Is there a cost?
Thanks for the email and for using the service! I’ve re-targeted the links to your new account – please let me know if you have any problems.
Regarding expiration, links created anonymously or using a free account will automatically expire after 30 days. Any premium account (http://linktrack.info/premium_accounts) will be exempt from expiration.
Drop me a line anytime if you have more questions.