From a marketing perspective, social media is becoming really hard to ignore. It’s everywhere – from storing your resume on LinkedIn to keeping up with friends on Facebook and Google+, to sharing updates, video and pictures on sites like YouTube, Twitter and Flickr.
All of these are great but there’s so many that it’s difficult to keep up with all of them. How are you supposed to know where your best results are coming from?
That’s why we built Linktrack. We give you a simple tool to monitor and measure results in real time across a wide variety of sites. You can quickly see where your traffic is coming from so you can better tailor your marketing.
Try it now with these steps:
- Sign up for an account here
- Make a tracking link to measure what you’re interested in (bringing visitors to your web site for example).
- Post it on your Facebook page, Google+ page, in your Twitter stream, in your YouTube descriptions, etc.
- Watch the traffic come in over a few hours or days and you’ll start to get a feel for which sites are doing the most for you!
Want to take it a step further? Try out a month of one of our premium accounts for only $1 and try one of these options:
One of our users recently asked:
Can your site do banner referral links? How do you set up a tracking link with a banner?
We have a lot of users that use our site for banner tracking. Here are some steps and sample code to get started:
- Use our site to make a tracking link that points to your desired location (where the want the user to go)
- Copy your tracking link into the HTML code below.
- Replace the “img src” part with the URL of the banner image you want to use.
- Paste the HTML code onto your web page or email where needed.
<!--Start HTML code -->
<img src="http://yourdomain.com/your_image_here.jpg" />
<!--End HTML code -->
Should look something like this:
We’ve been running the Linktrack.info web site for years and years and we’ve never offered a discount on our premium account upgrades. Seriously – we’re like the worst sales people in the world.
But all that ends today! Try any of our premium accounts for a whole month for just a buck. That’s $0.03 a day to try email click alerts, downloadable reports, custom domain names and more. If you don’t completely love it, cancel at any time – no questions asked.
Click here to get the $1 upgrade now
Need more info? Drop me a line and ask me anything.
We’ve made a few upgrades in the last month or so and one of the most notable is the Groups tool for link organization. If you’re a power user with several hundred links this is a great tool for you, and even if you’re not it will help keep your stuff organized. We’ve made it available to all of the accounts (including the free account) so you can start using it today!
Make as many groups as you want, add your links to groups as needed and remove them when you’re ready. Look for the “manage” and “add group” links when you make a link, on your links page, or under your Account page.
Last month we launched the Custom Domain Beta program and it was a huge success!
Today I’m pleased to announce that we’ve added the Custom Domain feature and made it available to all of our Professional account holders at no additional charge.
Yes – you read that last part correctly. We originally intended to charge extra for the awesome new feature, but decided to roll it into our increasingly popular Professional account.
If you don’t have a Professional account yet, you can get one here.
To add and edit custom domains (yes – you can have more than one) just look for the custom domain management panel on your “My Account” page:
We’ve recently added a feature for managing web site preferences on the “My Account” page. The new preferences options will let you set the number of links and tracking records to display per page.
If you have a Professional account, you can also set your preferred domain name so you don’t have to select it manually when making a new link.
Look for the “preferences” link on the “My Account” page:
Today is Veterans Day. If you are a veteran, thank you.
We’ve added a new report for referrer hosts, available to Professional level account holders.
This report lists the top referrer hosts for your link, sorted by the most active referrers.
It’s similar to the top 10 referrers report you’ll find on the charts page, but we’ve expanded it to include all traffic sources. Use the it to get an idea of which web sites are sending the most traffic.
If you have questions about the referrer report, check out our post on referral tracking.
Referral tracking is something Linktrack does really well, but we get a lot of questions about it. In this post, I’m going to try and answer the top 3 most frequently asked questions for referral tracking.
1. What is the referrer field?
Any time you visit a web site (any web site) your browser passes a little bit of information about your request to the web site you’re visiting. This information includes things like your IP address, the browser you’re using, and your referrer information.
The referrer field contains information about the web site you just came from if it’s available. At Linktrack, we gobble up this data so you can view it and get an idea of where your traffic is coming from.
2. Why is the field blank sometimes?
When you visit a web site, you don’t have to include referrer information in your request, and a lot of times you don’t have any information to include even if you wanted to!
The most common reasons for a blank referrer field include:
- the address was typed in manually,
- the visitor clicked a link from their email program (like Microsoft Outlook),
- or the visitor is coming from a secured web page.
3. Why should I care about the referrer field?
If you’re using Linktrack, you probably want to know everything there is to know about the people clicking your tracking links. One of the most valuable bits of information is where they came from!
If you know that, then you can see which sources are sending you the most traffic and where you’re having the most success. You can use this information to narrow down your best referral sources, improve the efficiency of your marketing, etc.
Update 11/12/2010: This feature is no longer in beta and is now available to all Professional account holders.
Read more: custom domain tracking.
We’re currently beta testing a new feature for custom domain names. If you would like to use your own custom domain name with our tracking service and are interested in the beta program, please let us know.
The final custom domain feature will be available under a new pricing option above the Professional account.
Domains brought on during beta testing will be grandfathered in with no additional cost.
- You must have a Professional level account to participate in the beta program
- You will need to register and configure your own domain name
- Your domain can’t be in use for any other purpose. If you already have web site, you will need to make a subdomain (like subdomain.mydomain.com)
- Your profile must have a valid contact email (in case we need to contact you about your domain).
- Let us know what domain you want to use
- Point the A record DNS of your domain to our server
- Tell us your account name, and notify us when the DNS is configured
- This program is being beta tested. We expect to make changes to it based on customer feedback
- DNS configuration changes can sometimes take 24-72 hours to take effect
- Please let us know if you have trouble finding the IP address for linktrack.info